Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
blackcat452: (Default)
All I have to do is bone the bodice, and the Italian gown is done...with a week to spare. This can't be right. I have to be forgetting something.
blackcat452: (Bath)

I had such a wonder time this weekend.

Read more... )
blackcat452: (Bath)
Sigh.  I was almost finished the teens dress. I only needed to hem it, and now it dosent fit.  It fit the other day and I don't think I had that many cookies.  I don't know what to do next.  I could try swaping out the snaps for hooks and eyes, I won't be able to get in and out by myself, but it may hold better under pressure then the snaps.  Or I can take it apart and let out the seams, or start over on the bodice.  But I did so much hand sewing on it, I dont want to have to redo it.  Or just scrap it and hope the 20s dress I ordered fits.  This is so frustraiting, I need a cookie!

new undies

Apr. 26th, 2012 10:18 pm
blackcat452: (Default)
Thank you all for your kind words on my last post, I'll try to keep posting about it. I took a short break to get ready for fort fred, Its supposed to be seasonably cold, so I've been trying to figure out what to wear to keep warm without bundling up too much.  Then I vaguely remembered reading somewhere ( probably online) about flannel shifts.  At the time, I thought "wool shift?  how horrible, this has got to be b.s." But a cotton flannel shift was sounding pretty appealing with the cold damp weekend ahead. So I through one together.  Its pretty bad, I didn't even hem it, but nobody will see it, and its warm and soft, so what does it matter.  
blackcat452: (Default)
Despite a sad lack of posts, I have been sewing.  I wanted a cotton lawn gown with sequence like this one from the Napoleon fashion exhibit for the tiara party and the Jane Austen Ball.
Lots of pictures below... )
blackcat452: (Default)
So with all the pretty 18th century gowns on LJ and with Basile day coming up, I thought I would try my hand at a francaise again.  Now for those of you keep score at home, this is my 3rd attempt at this style. That's right, number 3! This time is a pretty white and red cotton print
from Burnley and Towbridge.   And once again I am at the part where I get stuck.  
 
I have the back pleated and sewn to the lining. Now how do I attach the front to the lining and back?  They always seem to skip over this part in dress diaries, and that's probably because its so simple, but I just can't understand it.  This dress is put together so differently from the other dresses I've done.



edit: Thanks for all the advice, but I still feel like I'm missing something. More details are in order, I'm useing the JP Ryan patter which has me making a full bodice lining and mounting the fabric on it , the bodice and skirt are cut as one, so there is no waist seam. My problem is I cant figure out the how to attach the fashion fabric and where.  I think I have the side seam, but the front is confusing me, and I'm not sure if it should be tacked at the waist, since its all one piece.  I've been playing around with it, and it seems  a little clearer, I think I need to  to just dive in and start sewing and see what works..

Profile

blackcat452: (Default)
blackcat452

August 2017

S M T W T F S
  12 345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Syndicate

RSS Atom

Style Credit

Page generated Sep. 25th, 2017 04:22 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios