Now I have to do the eyelets and the binding. I hope to have them done by the end on the month.
In personal stuff, the baby had an ear infection that would not go away, turned out he's allergic to most antibiotics. So he got ear tubes yesterday. Last night was rough, last few weeks have been rough. I hope he feels better soon.
In personal news, I decided to take the job, so I'll be starting that in two weeks.
( Click for my term paper )
Those are my thoughts anyway. Stay tuned for part 2.
New Francaise for the annual dinner.
1920's silk dress
Brown linen anglaise, ( altered for baby bump)
1790s cotton open robe and underdress
For 2015, I don't plan on being able to do much, but I'd like a new regency ball gown, a 1780s jacket and a satin anglaise. I'd also like to finish my Catherine of Aragon gown I'm going to attempt the historical sew fortnightly, see if that helps motivate me at all. This year, it's only one challenge a month, so it should be easier.
To me, it looked like a croped d version of an anglaise, so thats how I constructed it. I pleated the back to lining like an en fourreau anglaise, then constructed the bodice with a combo of regency and 18th century techniques, plus whatever worked to get it together.
The fabric was from my trip to Williamsburg this summer. Underneath, I wore a swiss dot lawn dress. I have to say, its one of my favorates, I just need to do something about the super white under gown. Either dye it, or find a contrasting pink or blue to match the print. But that's another time.
Now I just have to finishe my new regency gown for next weekend.
Secondly, the Katherine dress is coming along. I only have the hem and beading left to do. I'm copying the monkey portrait, with a few creative alterations here and there. I don’t have and pics yet, the fur sleeves are so heavy, I can't keep it on the manikin. I hope it cools off between not and the fair, cause that mother is HOT! My necklace came today, so I thought I'd share the accessories so far. Since the inspiration dress has no jewelry besides the rings, I decided to use the cross necklace from another famous portrait. Hers in on a gold chain, but since the chain that came with it is too long (it gets lost under the dress) so I thought I'd move it to a strand of pearls. Her daughter, Mary, had a similar (or the same?) cross with pearls, so it's accurate enough for me. And it's fancier :)
I also bought a Gable hood. While there are images of KoA in a French hood, the gable hood is her signature look. It's the English style, and above all else, she is Queen of England. She sacrificed everything to keep her position. Plus, it creates a contrast with her rival, Anne Boleyn. I tried to make one, but my millinery skills are atrocious. The peace of mind was worth the cost. And I think it looks pretty cute when it’s on.
I actually sewed something. I've been wanting to make a 1920s dress for a while, and since I needed a new dress for the Downton Abbey Cocktail party, now was the perfect time. I followed the directions here for a 1928 dance frock. Alice and Judy helped me fit it, and after a bit more fiddling to make up for the stiffer fabric, I was good to go. It's made of grey silk taffeta and silver Jomar trim. I decided to more up the date a bit to better fit the theme of the party. So I lengthened the skirt to the oh so flattering cankel. For such an unconventional silhouette, it isn't too unflattering. And I finished the whole thing in two days, new record. :)